Wednesday 18 April 2012

Craig Reviews Spring 2012 Anime

I came into this season expecting to finally get the chance to start working my way through Gintama, since I couldn't find anything that really appealed to me in the previews I'd seen. Curiosity has ended up getting the better of me though, and I've found myself picking up quite a few of the new series, which is no bad thing. It's looking like there are a lot of potentially great series this season (though why people are still watching Queen's Blade is beyond me, guess that's the power of boobs!), and a select few have really impressed with their opening episodes. Of course, it's difficult to really judge a series based on the first couple of episodes alone, and several of these could go on to disappoint, but I thought I'd put up some impressions based on what I've seen so far, while everything is still fresh.


Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full Power Ninden 
Episodes watched - 2


Episode 228 of Naruto Shippuden opened with a brief skit in which a chibi Rock Lee took on Madara to rescue his beloved Gai-Sensei. Arriving during a literal sea of filler, it was a striking and funny scene that remains the highlight of that awful filler arc, so when I heard that Rock Lee was getting an SD comedy spin-off of his own I found myself hopeful that it might just manage to be good, at the very least. Thankfully, while the first two episodes haven't exactly been amazing, they are an entertaining diversion for fans of the main series. I can imagine a lot of people being put off by the first half of the first episode, which basically amounts to watching Lee try to avoid stepping in dog poop for 10 minutes, but the second half fares much better, while episode 2 improves even further, as Lee attempts, and repeatedly fails, to woo Sakura.


Visually the show is as cutesy as you'd expect, and while the cynic in me can't help but imagine the merchandise just waiting to be rolled out for this show, the SD versions of the characters we know and love do their job well. Indeed, I think where episode 1 failed most of all was in not showing us more of the extended cast. While episode 2 showed us a little bit more of Konohagakure's resident ninjas, it would be nice to see the show expand further afield, rather than staying so tightly focused on Team Gai. Fortunately, the Naruto universe has a very long list of characters just waiting to get all super-deformed, so hopefully this series will manage to keep things fresh for a while. In terms of tone it's pretty much slapstick all the way (with a healthy dose of cross-dressing Neji), I personaly found it to be very reminiscent of Squid Girl, which is no bad thing as Squid Girl is easily one of my favourite recent comedy series. I'd imagine most people will have made their minds up on this series already based on how they feel about the main series, and while I do think there's more here for fans than those who don't watch Naruto (knowledge of the main series is not required, but there are a few in-jokes), this is actually a pretty good comedy so far, one that might just manage to stand on it's own merits.


Polar Bear Cafe
Episodes watched - 2


I will watch any anime that features cute animals, so I went into Polar Bear Cafe expecting to love it, and I did, though not necessarily for the reasons I was expecting. Yes, there is an undeniable cuteness at play here, but the show doesn't rely on it as much as I had suspected it might, and it's actually a really funny way to pass 20 minutes. The show focuses on a lazy panda who gets a job at the local zoo while finding some companionship at the Polar Bear Cafe, which is, you guessed it, owned by a polar bear. In this show's universe humans seem to think nothing of talking animals stopping off in a cafe for a plate of bamboo, which is admittedly a little odd, but it's all part of the show's bizarre charm.


Firstly, let it be said that I've never related to a panda so much before, though that may say more about my own laziness than the character's charm! Having said that, our main character is undeniably likeable, if a little dense, and consistently hilarious. His hunt for a job in the first episode is great, and watching him and his colleague provide 'service' for a group of  schoolchildren at the zoo is laugh-out-loud funny. There's something about this show that, to me at least, just instantly feels special. Perhaps the show's best asset is it's visuals, particularly the realistically drawn cast of animals. Watching a very stoic-looking polar bear playing out cheesy gags, or a penguin getting drunk at a flower viewing party, is just a stroke of genius. The voice-acting is also really great, from Panda's childlike bamboo-based musings to Polar Bear's deadpan delivery. Throw in an upbeat and catchy opener and a mesmerising ED and you have what has quickly become my frontrunner for favourite of the season. From what I've seen so far things are looking very good, though I can certainly see how this show might not be to everyone's tastes. While there is a chance it may not be able to keep things interesting for a full season, I'm hopeful that the show's gentle charm will keep things as fun as the first two episodes have been.


Space Brothers
Episodes watched - 3


Space Brothers follows the story of Hibito and Mutta, two brothers who witnessed a UFO together in 2006. The show is set in 2025 where Hibito, the younger brother, born on a lucky day, has gone on to fulfil the dream that began on that night in 2006 and has become an astronaut. Mutta, born on an unlucky day, has always walked behind his little brother and now finds himself unemployed. That's all I'll say on the plot front, because this show really deserves your attention and I wouldn't want to spoil the experience. This was the first new season show that I decided to watch, not out of any great desire, but because it was there and I was a bit bored at the time. Maybe it's just because of the low expectations I had going in, but the first episode really took me by surprise.Touching, funny and uplifting all at once, it was an unexpected treat.


Thankfully that first episode was no fluke, as the second and third episodes have both been just as strong. Everything about this show just feels perfect, and I'm certain it will be the big success of the season. It's got a great story, the characters are all interesting, it's got a fantastic sense of humour and it's beautiful to look at. I really don't have a bad word to say against this series at the moment. It's refreshing to see a big series like this that doesn't feature high-school girls or shounen superheroes, instead focusing on normal adults who are simply chasing their dreams, and for that alone I really hope that this series is successful. Ok, so the UFO part isn't exactly normal, but that aspect is really played down at the moment, though personally I am very intrigued to find out more about it. I guess all I really have to say on this one, besides wildly throwing praise around like a madman, is that you should definitely give it a chance. It's done everything right so far, and it doesn't show any signs of stopping.


Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Episodes watched - 2


It seems I am one of the few people out there who actually enjoyed the Haiyoru! Nyaru-Ani web and TV series. They were Flash animated, three minute affairs, that while nothing spectacular, always kept me giggling. The concept is simple, the Great Old Ones of H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos (which, for the record, I had next to no knowledge of before I began watching these series) have descended to Earth to generally wreak havoc upon the life of Yasaka Mahiro, our very typical male protagonist. It's extremely bizarre, but in the context of a three-minute episode it works. I had some reservations about the show becoming a full series, as I didn't think it's unique brand of humour would work as well in a full episode. However, the series has done so admirably with it's first two episodes, improving in virtually every way. Time will tell if this series can continue to fill out it's new twenty minute runtime effectively, but so far it's looking good.


This new series is a retelling of sorts, starting with Nyarlathotep, or Nyaruko, descending to Earth to protect Mahiro from a Nightgaunt attack. Hilarity ensues as Mahiro tries to adjust to his hyperactive new gaurdian, and all of the jokes from the previous series make a return, bigger and better than before. There's something about a fork attack that just doesn't get old! This series is also full to the brim with referential humour, with everything from Pokemon and  Kamen Rider to One Piece getting lampooned in the first two episodes, along with many more obscure references for the most hardcore of anime fans. I'd wager a lot of people will turn their noses up at this series based on the previous shorts, but this really feels like a very different beast. For starters, there's actual movement now,  rather than static images with moving mouths, indeed the show is almost pretty. The excellent cast of voice actors also return (Nyaruko's Gundam-based cries of pain are a particular delight), and everything just has an extra level of polish. The show has really improved, so much so that I'm surprised myself, so even if you didn't get on with the admittedly weird shorts there may be something that appeals to you in this new series.


Folktales From Japan
Episodes watched - 3


This was the only show that I had singled out before the season began as one that I'd definitely watch. An interest in all things Japanese made this one essential viewing for me, and anyone with an interest in Japanese folklore will, like me, probably already have this one on their list. For those not particularly interested in the subject matter, it's fair to say that there's probably not a lot on offer here. The show is most definitely geared towards children, with each episode split into three short stories with narration performed by two older voice actors, giving the impression of having a storybook read to you. I must admit that I wasn't expecting the presentation to be quite so child-oriented, though it works well given the themes.


My only real gripe with the show so far is the lack of variety in the stories that have been adapted. While, to a degree, this is not really down to the show as such, I can't help but wonder if they couldn't be a little more selective with the stories they choose. This is not to say that all of the stories so far have been bad, most of these sweet little morality tales are really interesting. However, in the 3 episodes we've already seen there have been plenty of mean and ungrateful neighbours, leading me to the assumption that if you're a kindly old couple living in Japan you're neighbours are probably horrible human beings. The shows visuals are geared towards it's younger audience, with a flat, picture-book style that I find very reminiscent of Mainichi Kaasan. The final story of the second episode bucks this trend, opting instead for lovely watercolour visuals, and I can only hope that this experimentation with the visuals will return. So, if you have an interest in Japanese culture, or a child who you want to get started on the road to anime fandom early in life, this show is well worth a look. If not, it's probably best to give this one a miss.


Tsuritama
Episodes watched - 1


Tsuritama is... well, I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what Tsuritama is at the moment. What I do know is there's a duck named Tapioca in it, and that has got to earn it some points. An intriguing, and very pretty, opening skit involving a five-headed dragon that besieges Enoshima before a beautiful princess arrives to save the island, leads us into the series proper, as we're introduced to the central cast. They're a very weird bunch, which makes for an interesting opening episode, but is also the show's biggest flaw. This episode places too much focus on the wacky characters, and puts virtually zero time into developing any form of plot at all, which unfortunately leaves the show feeling weird for the sake of being weird. In this opening episode Yuki transfers to Enoshima, while Haru, self-confessed alien and wielder of an apparently magical water pistol, seems to have big plans for the new kid. The show is definitely interesting, and I can't wait to see what plot does arise, but as a first episode this isn't exactly a dazzling success.


I can definitely see the lack of plot in this opener being a pretty divisive issue for people, but if there's one thing everyone should be able to agree on, it's the dazzling artistry on display here.This show is easily one of the best looking series of the season in my opinion. The idealised summer setting and character design instantly recalls Summer Wars, while the backgrounds, with high-contrast, angular shading and heavy linework evokes the darker Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. Every frame is beautiful in it's own right, and the show really is a joy to look at, even as the plot bemuses.It's got a very unique style, which is something that I am always very appreciative of, particularly when it comes to anime. The show's music is equally brilliant, with an upbeat OP that fits the series perfectly, and impressive incidental music. All the necessary components for an excellent series are on display here, all except a story at least, and I am convinced that this will go on to be a great series, but this first episode definitely places too much emphasis on being odd.


Yurumates 3D
Episodes watched - 2


Generally speaking I'm a fan of the three-minute episode format, especially when it comes to silly comedy fluff. Unfortunately, this show has only managed to bore me so far, and that it manages that in the space of three minutes is almost impressive. The series follows Yurume, an 18 year old girl (yes, she really is supposed to be 18, despite looking and sounding like a 5 year old.) who moves to Tokyo to "search for her dream". Yurume finds herself living with a peculiar bunch of failed students, though it's not entirely clear whether Yurume is supposed to be a student herself, at the not very Tokyo-esque Maison Du Wish. Episode 1 is just dull, and while episode 2 might manage to raise a small giggle, there are definitely better things you could be doing with 3 minutes. The OP, which is a sixth of each episode itself, shows a slightly mad sequence in which the residents of Maison Du Wish pilot mech made from the building itself to battle their landlady. That this skit is the highlight of both episodes so far should give a good indication of the kind of quality to expect here.


Queen's Blade Rebellion
Episodes watched - 1 minute 59 seconds


... No. Just... No.

No comments:

Post a Comment